What is good advice?
Advice is particularly useful to gain information and awareness, make decisions, or try and predict future outcomes. Good advice is insightful, applicable and communicated clearly. Because of this, advice is highly contextual and hugely dependant on the skills and experience of the advice-giver.
Good advisors are reliable, have a strong track-record, are teachable and humble, listen lots, and know how to balance reliance on both evidence and instinct. The quality of advice an organisation receives can make a huge difference in shaping it's future.
- Be picky about the advisors you trust but when you find one don't be afraid to invest in the relationship. The longer the relationship the better the advice.
- Communication goes both ways; communicate your goals and resources to your advisor plainly and clearly.
- Often the more access, information and autonomy you give a skilled advisor the better advice you receive.
- Understand that everyone has their own biases. Don't be afraid to calibrate against advice.
- Fact-check and validate advice where appropriate.
Benefits from doing this well
- A better understanding of your options available and their implications.
- Become empowered to make better decisions with greater confidence.
- Increased insights and knowledge.
- A better handle of how to maximise budgets and other resources.
- Access insights from outside your business or industry.
At OpusV, we take a collaborative approach to the advice we provide. Our expertise gives us strong insights into a range of areas, but we understand will never know a clients business as well as they do. We therefore believe in an evolving conversational model of advice.
We keep business outcomes first and foremost by taking a 'whole-of-business' approach. Our goal is to help a business succeed not just a project. This also means not just advising on solutions, but how those solutions can be effectively implemented, managed and maintained.
Whether you’d like a public report to support a decision to stakeholders, or a private consultation behind closed doors, we’re here to make you comfortable and confident in your next steps forward.